看美剧《电脑狂人》学地道商务表达
http://www.passbec.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Halt-and-catch-Fire-电脑狂人.jpg关于《电脑狂人》:美剧Halt and catch fire《电脑狂人》是一部描述20世纪末期美国IT精英创业融资、创新发展的电视剧。该剧有不少关于商务演讲、公司法务、股权融资、广告营销、商务谈判、收购合并的情景对话,美剧《电脑狂人》用语专业、简炼,非常适合用来作为商务英语学习的素材。
本剪辑选自《电脑狂人》第3季第7集,该场景涉及到一些比较专业的商务表达和实用短语及词汇(已在脚本处用蓝色做了标记),希望对大家的商务英语学习有所帮助。点击下方视频播放按钮,可直接观看视频剪辑。
http://file.en580.com/VIP/TV/HAC/Halt.and.Catch.Fire.S03E07.mp4
Cameron:I’ve had some concerns about Mutiny’s direction,我对穆特尼的走向, 有些担忧
concerns I haven’t effectively expressed. 而我没能好好表达这些担忧
That’s on me. 这怪我
Things are moving fast, faster than I ever imagined they would. 现在我们发展得很快, 比我预期的快得多
It’s an exciting time. 这很令人激动
But we are at a crossroads 但我们走到了十字路口
and we have a decision to make… together. 我们需要做决定一起决定
I know you all want to move forward on the IPO. 我知道你们都想上市
I do, too. 我也想
But I don’t think rushing into it is in our best interests. 但我认为急着上市对我们并不是最好的
Donna:Can I say a quick word? 我能说一句吗
The company is valued for what it is and does right now. 公司的价值在于它现在的状况
The market likes Mutiny, but in a year or two, 市场现在喜欢穆特尼但再过一两年
or however long it takes to implement 或者等我们实施完毕
the changes you have in mind, who knows? 你所构想的改变谁知道呢
We can’t count on tomorrow’s landscape looking like today’s. 我们不能指望未来的情势还跟如今一样
Cameron: Mutiny isn’t sustainable as it exists now. 穆特尼现在的样子是维持不下去的
Our whole user base is tied to the Commodore 64. 我们整个用户群都是康懋达64用户
We need to diversify to other platforms in order to grow. 我们想要发展就得开发其他平台
And isn’t that what Wall Street likes? Growth? 这不就是华尔街喜欢的吗发展
The kind of investment that I’m talking about 我所构想的投资
in time and money will pay off 日后终会有收获
and smart investors will see that. 聪明的投资者会明白的
Donna:Your ideas are good, Cameron, 你的点子很棒卡梅伦
and some of them are even great. 有些非常好
And I want to explore them with you, all of them. 我也想跟你一起探索你的每个点子
But why can’t we do that after we’ve gone public? 但为什么不能在上市之后做呢?
We don’t have to wait to try and make something perfect. 我们不用等着把它做到完美
Perfect is the enemy of good, 完美是好的敌人
and Mutiny is very, very good right now as it is. 穆特尼现在就很好了
Cameron: Donna, have you been on SwapMeet lately? 唐娜你最近上过跳蚤市场吗
It’s like an 8-bit mall. 就像个8位的商场
It’s lost what made it a community. 它失去了其社区的本质
We need to make it feel alive again or people are going to leave 我们得重新给它注入活力,否则大家会离开的
and we’ll just be hosting a bunch of tacky businesses selling junk to nobody. 只剩下我们给一群三流小店开商场叫卖破烂没人买
Donna:But–但是
Cameron:Please. 求你
We can’t afford to be naive here. 我们不能太天真
If we put off these changes, 如果我们推迟改变
we won’t be able to make them the right way. 就不能好好施行它们了
Donna:You mean your way. 是按你的方式吧
Cameron:I mean, we’ll be so focused on PE ratios and shareholder value 我们将会太过在意市盈率和股东价值
that we won’t be able to innovate and respond quickly. 而不能迅速创新、反应
Mutiny won’t be Mutiny anymore. 穆特尼就不再是穆特尼了
We’ll lose the company’s soul. 我们会失去公司的灵魂
Donna:Say we do it your way. 如果按你的办法来
What happens if your ideas, good as they are, 万一你的点子虽然它们很棒
don’t work or backfire? 但行不通或适得其反了呢
We risk losing our current valuation. 那我们就可能丧失现在的价值
Going public doesn’t mean we stop innovating. 上市不代表就要停止创新
We can continue to experiment and improve as we go, 我们可以同时继续实验改进
especially with someone as brilliant as you leading the way. 尤其有你这样聪明的人给我们带路
Cameron:Don’t patronize me. 别哄我
Donna:I’m not patronizing you. 我没那个意思
You’re handling me like you always do, and I’m sick of it. 你又像以往一样在对付我我受够了
Cameron:Listen, I’m trying to explain some very real risks 我在向公司股东解释
that you’re not willing to acknowledge to actual stakeholders in the company. 真实存在,而你不肯承认的风险
We can’t afford to be impulsive here. 我们不能太冲动
Donna:You’re calling me impulsive? 你还说我冲动
Cameron:What’s that supposed to mean? 这话什么意思?
Donna:I think people are out there celebrating what that means. 我觉得外面的人就在庆祝你的冲动
Cameron:Oh, you mean that bullshit little party you threw 你是指你为了不让我发现
to distract me from getting stabbed in the back? 你背后捅刀行为而开的破派对吗
Crowd:Okay. – Okay, ladies, -好啊-行了女士们
Diane:We are getting off track here. 我们偏离主题了
Cameron:Diane, it’s mostly your thoughts coming out of her mouth, 黛安她说的大多是你的想法
so I can’t imagine what you have to add to the discussion. 所以我不知你还能提出什么新意见
Donna:Jesus! I don’t know who should be more insulted. 天呐真不知我们谁该更觉得受冒犯
Trust me, if I’m expressing an opinion, it’s because I believe it. 相信我如果我说什么,那肯定是我的想法
Cameron:I should trust you. Yes, of course!–I mean, unless you’re lying now, 我是该相信你,除非你又在撒谎
like you lied about Doug and Craig. 就像之前你在道格和克雷格的事上撒了谎
Did you know about that? 你知道吗
That when you told her it was fine if I fired them, 你告诉她可以解雇他们
she told me that I had to keep them on? 结果她却告诉我必须留下他们
Is that the sort of person that you wanna trust with this business going forward? 你就想跟这种人继续做生意吗?
Donna:You mean the kind of person who actually tries to make things work 你是指一个努力想维持下去
instead of fighting with anybody who threatens her “savior complex“? 而不是跟每个威胁了她”救世主情节”的人打架的人吗?
Cameron:I get along fine with people. 我跟人相处得很好
Donna:You alienate everybody. 你疏远每一个人
Cameron:Says the woman that will take any excuse not to go home to her husband. 你一个想尽一切理由不回家见丈夫的女人也好意思说
Donna:Why don’t we see if your marriage lasts the year before you start dolg out relationship advice? 先看看你的婚姻能不能坚持到明年你再提出感情建议吧
Bos:Donna? – Enough. Enough! 唐娜-够了
Hey, this meeting is over, all right? 这次会议结束了
My God! You two go to your corners, 天呐你俩去各自的角落
wipe the blood off your mouths, 把嘴上的血都擦干净
and we will revisit– -我们稍后再…
Cameron:This gets decided tonight. I want a vote, and I want it clean. 这事今晚就定下来,我要大家投票清楚明白
If you all decide with Donna, 如果你们都同意唐娜
then you can go ahead and do the IPO without me. I quit.那就自己去上市吧-我辞职
Gorden:Cameron, come on. 卡梅伦别这样
Cameron:No! I’m sick of this! Go! Take a hard look at this company 不我受够了去吧好好看看这家公司
and ask yourself who made it what it is 问问自己是谁塑造了它
and who’s just been along for the ride! 又是谁只是搭了顺风车
Bos:Cameron, please don’t do this. 卡梅伦别这样
Donna:You want it? You got it. 你想投票好啊
But I will not sit by and watch this company die 但我不会坐视这家公司
because it’s being held hostage by a petulant child. 因为被个任性的孩子挟持而死去
If we don’t move forward with the IPO, 如果我们不上市
then you can steer this ship into the rocks yourself, because I am outta here.你就自己驾船去撞礁石吧,我不干了
Diane:Okay, Bos is right. Let’s take a beat, cool off博斯说得对我们休息下冷静下来
Donna:Show of hands. Who’s in favor of doing the IPO now with all that that entails? 举手表决谁赞成现在上市? 不管一切后果
Bos:You’re breaking my goddamn heart. 你真让我心碎
背景介绍:女主人公卡梅伦创办的“穆特尼”公司是一家技术领先的在线网络游戏平台,后鉴于用户的交流需求,发展了互动社区。随着用户数的不断增长,交换及购买商品的需求不断凸现,由于彼时电子商务还处于萌芽阶段,用户基数不大、而且赢利模式并不明朗,做电子商务的IT公司基本上都是赔本赚吆喝。“穆特尼”通过黛安的资金注入加上博斯的巧妙周旋,以非常低廉的价格收购了当时专注于“在线物品交换”、且拥有较大知名度的“跳蚤市场”,开始在电子商务领域崭露头角、并受到了资本市场的高度关注。
黛安与唐娜一拍即合,打算趁风生水起,尽快将穆特尼融资上市,卡梅伦则希望不断发展社区、通过创新提高用户活跃度、将平台打造完美后再进行IPO,在会议召开之前,两人就因意见不合而产生了较大的摩擦,在股东会议召开之前时逢卡梅伦婚礼晚宴,唐娜丈夫高登出于好意,向卡梅伦摊牌唐娜决意进军IPO,而他自己尽管并不太赞成唐娜的提议,但出于夫妻关系,只能附和,希望卡梅伦找其颇为敬重的博斯商谈,能够妥善处理此事,不曾想卡梅伦义愤填膺,尽管找了博斯,博斯也建议她要顾全大局,凡事有商有量。卡梅伦提议招开股东会议,与唐娜针锋相对,于是便有了上面的精彩对白。
很喜欢 ,给赞一直支持。 赞一个。是个学习的好资料 这部看起来不错啊 thanks a lot
页:
[1]